Faraali Aloo sabzi is a simple dish prepared during fasting period. Boiled potatoes are added to a tempering of cumin seeds and green chillies, topped with roasted peanut powder and fresh coconut with a dash of lime. This is generally served with curds. Another similar sabzi which is consumed during fasting period is Sweet Potato sabzi. Here goes the recipe for Faraali Aloo Sabzi:
3 potatoes (aloo/ batata)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
3 tbsp roasted peanut powder (mungphali)
3 tbsp grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
¼ tsp sugar (cheeni)
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles.
- When the potatoes cool down, deskin and cut into cubes. Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled potato cubes and saute for few seconds.
- Add sugar, salt and mix.
- Add roasted peanut powder and mix.
- Add grated coconut, lime juice and give it a mix.
- Serve Faraali Aloo Sabzi with curds.
- This tastes equally tasty even when it has turned cold.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO