Kala chana masala is a delicious onion based gravy. Kala chana is a good source of protein for vegetarians. It goes well with puris, rotis, plain rice and jeera rice.
1 cup Kala Chana (Black chickpeas)
1 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chillies
3 cloves garlic
½ inch ginger
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
1 tbsp fresh coriander
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak black chickpeas in water for around 5 to 6 hours.
- Drain and transfer the chanas to pressure cooker.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- After the steam escapes completely, open the pressure cooker.
- Keep the boiled chanas aside.
- Grind green chillies, ginger and garlic to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the chopped onions.
- Saute and cook the onions until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic-green chillies paste and saute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Let it cook till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, amchur, salt and let it cook on a slow flame for 5 to 8 minutes so that all the spices blend well.
- Now, add the boiled chanas and mix well.
- Add water if required and adjust the consistency.
- Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rotis or paratha.