Poha style oats is nothing but oats cooked in the similar manner as Poha. Oats is one of my favourite ingredients when it comes to breakfast. I like to make an oats breakfast dish atleast once a week. The healthy, versatile oats can be cooked in number of ways. Some of the oats breakfast dishes on this blog are Oats Idli, Oats Dhokla, Oats Strawberry breakfast bowl, Oats Mango Parfait, Oats Carrot Idlis, Oats Porridge, Vegetable Masala Oats and Oats Vegetable Dosa. The dishes made using oats turn out really tasty. In fact the Poha style oats has become a family favourite, so much so that we have started liking it more than the regular poha. So, here’s the recipe for Poha style Oats.
1 ½ cup oats
2 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 green chillies , slit lengthwise (hari mirch)
2 medium sized onions, chopped (pyaaz)
1 small tomato, chopped (tamatar)
1 small potato, chopped (aloo)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
2 tsp grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
2 tsp chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds (anaar ke daane) – optional
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Heat a pan.
- Add oats and dry roast on low flame for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Keep roasted oats aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Next, add chopped tomato and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped potato and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Add half a cup of water and give a mix.
- Cook covered on low flame for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and check if the potato cubes are cooked.
- After the potatoes are cooked, add ¼ cup of water and mix.
- Now, add roasted oats and mix.
- Make sure that oats are well coated with the onion tomato mixture.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, grated coconut and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve hot.
- Before adding the roasted oats, ensure that there is some water in the onion tomato mixture. This is because the oats absorbs all the moisture from the mixture . If there is no water in the mixture, the final dish will become very dry.
- Garnishing with pomegranate seeds is optional. This is done only to make the final dish visually attractive.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: