Methi Thepla is one of the best dishes of Gujarati cuisine. It’s an all time favourite in my house. Methi theplas can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It can be served with curds, pickle, any veg or non-veg gravy. It pairs up well with any North Indian gravy. Though my personal favourite is Methi thepla with Masoor usal. These Theplas remain unspoilt for a few days and hence are apt to carry while travelling.
1 cup Methi leaves (chopped)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala (optional)
2 tbsp curds (optional)
Salt as per taste
2 tbsp oil for kneading the dough
Oil/ghee for cooking the parathas
- Wash the methi leaves thoroughly, drain the water and chop finely. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl or a thali, take the chopped methi leaves, whole wheat flour, garlic paste and all the spices mentioned above.
- Mix it well and knead into a stiff dough.
- Make medium sized balls from the dough.
- Take a medium sized ball and roll into a thepla with the rolling pin. On a hot tawa place the thepla.
- Spread some ghee/oil on the sides of the thepla.
- Flip it a couple of times till it gets cooked evenly.
- Serve methi thepla with plain yogurt or pickle or Masoor Usal.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO