The holy month of Shravan has begun. Many Hindus observe fasts and perform pujas during this month especially on Mondays. Today is the first Monday of this month and I am sharing recipe of a dish which can be consumed during fasts. Ratalyachi Bhaji / Sweet Potato Sabzi is a simple dish prepared during fasting period. Boiled sweet potatoes are added to a tempering of cumin seeds and green chillies, topped with roasted peanut powder and fresh coconut with a dash of lime. This is generally served with curds. Here goes the recipe.
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (ratalu/ shakarkand)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
½ cup roasted and powdered peanuts (mungphali)
¼ cup grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
¼ tsp sugar (cheeni)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles. When the sweet potatoes cool down, deskin them and cut into cubes. Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled sweet potato cubes, roasted peanut powder, fresh grated coconut, sugar, salt and lime juice. Give it a good mix.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve Ratalyachi Bhaji with curds.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
There is a similar recipe made using potatoes known as Faraali Aloo Sabzi.