Here’s a nutritious, tasty paratha prepared by adding moong dal and spinach to whole wheat flour. Moong dal and spinach , both powerhouses of nutrition make these parathas healthy. These parathas can be had for breakfast to make a healthy start to your day or can also make a light dinner option. It also makes a good tiffin snacks recipe for kids.
1 ½ cup wheat flour
¼ cup moong dal
1 cup spinach (palak), chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp cumin-coriander powder
1 tbsp oil to knead the dough
Salt as per taste
Ghee to cook the parathas
- Wash and soak moong dal for 1 hour.
- Pressure cook the moong dal for 3 whistles.
- Once the steam escapes, open the pressure cooker and keep the cooked moong dal aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the wholewheat flour, cooked moong dal, chopped spinach, ginger-garlic paste, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder and salt and mix well.
- Knead well to make a smooth dough.
- Add water if required while kneading the flour. I did not add water as the cooked dal had enough moisture for kneading.
- Make medium sized balls from the dough.
- Take a medium sized ball and roll into a circle with the rolling pin.
- Heat a tava and cook the paratha using ghee till golden brown spots appear on both the sides of the paratha.
- Serve hot with pickle and curds.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
If you love parathas, I would like to draw your attention to the following paratha recipes: