Rajma masala served with boiled rice (Rajma chawal) is a popular dish throughout northern India and is one of the most satiating meals. Protein rich rajma is cooked in a flavourful onion tomato gravy. Rajma tastes delicious with rotis and parathas too.
1 cup Kidney Beans (Rajma )
2 large onions finely chopped (pyaaz)
2 tomatoes, chopped (tamatar)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 to 3 cloves garlic (lehsun)
1/2 inch ginger (adrak)
1 tbsp Oil (tel)
½ tsp Turmeric powder (haldi) 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
2 tsp Red chilli powder (laal mirch powder) |
2 tsp raw mango powder (amchoor)
1 tsp Garam masala powder
1 to 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves chopped (dhaniya)
- Wash and soak rajma overnight in water.
- Drain rajma and put into a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- In the meantime grind the chopped tomatoes, garlic and ginger into fine paste.
- Once the rajma is cooked, allow it to cool.
- Drain the rajma and reserve the water in which it is cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add tomato and ginger garlic paste
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala and amchoor.
- Mix it well and cook till the masala leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add rajma and mix well.
- Add the water in which rajma was boiled.
- Add salt and mix.
- Stir well and let it cook on a slow flame till the gravy thickens.
- Mash a few rajma beans with the back of the spoon to obtain thick consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Rajma Masala is ready to be served..
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO