If one is looking for a light and healthy meal option, a bowl of soup along with some salad is a great combination. A warm bowl of soup is also perfect to keep winter chills at bay. When it comes to soup, the easiest soup to make is the tomato soup. Tomato soup is made in a variety of ways. The recipe which I am sharing today is not the usual thick, creamy tomato soup, but, a thin watery soup which is made with tomatoes, carrots and spices. This recipe is adapted from Chef Kunal Kapoor’s recipe of tomato shorba. This tomato soup has become a family favourite now, as opposed to the thick creamy tomato soup. A hot bowl of this soup along with garlic bread makes for a perfect dinner when you want to keep it light and healthy. Let us have a look at the recipe:
8 tomatoes (tamatar), cut into large pieces
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1 inch piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
4 to 5 whole black peppers (kali mirch)
8 to 9 cloves of chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
1 large onion, chopped (pyaaz)
¾ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
½ cup chopped coriander leaves alongwith its stem (hara dhaniya)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
Salt as per taste (namak)
A pinch of sugar (cheeni)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and black pepper.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped ginger and saute.
- Now, add chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots, salt, ¼ cup water and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and give a stir.
- Now, add chopped coriander leaves alongwith its stems, red chilly powder, a pinch of sugar and mix well.
- Add 5 cups of water and cover the lid.
- Allow it to cook for 15 to 20 minutes on medium flame.
- After 20 minutes, uncover the pan.
- Turn off the flame and mash the vegetables with a masher.
- Now, keep a large strainer over a large bowl.
- Pass the cooked mixture through the strainer.
- While straining, mash the cooked vegetables thoroughly, using the back of a large spoon.
- Discard the residue and keep the soup aside.
- Heat a pan and transfer the soup to the pan.
- Allow it to come to a boil.
- Tomato soup is ready to be served.
- Select bright red tomatoes for making the soup.
- Do not forget to add coriander stems. It imparts a nice flavor to the soup.
- This soup is best served piping hot.
- Serve this soup with garlic bread to bring out the best in it.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: