Though Aloo Paratha has its origin in the north, it has found its way into every kitchen, be it a North Indian, Maharashtrian or a South Indian Kitchen. The soft and spicy potato filling in the paratha makes it a popular dish. Aloo paratha can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can make variations in the potato stuffing by adding onions, mint leaves, carom seeds etc. Today, I have prepared the stuffing using the pickle masala. All of us generally have atleast a bottle of pickle at home, either homemade or store bought. You just have to scoop a tablespoon of masala from the pickle leaving aside the mango pieces (if using mango pickle) and add to the potato mixture. Try making this Achari aloo paratha and let me know how you liked it.
For potato stuffing
4 boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 tbsp pickle masala
½ tsp turmeric powder
half a tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp garam masala
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
Salt (if needed. I have not used salt as the pickle masala already has salt in it)
2 cups wheat flour
1 tbsp oil
Water to knead the dough
Ghee for cooking the parathas
- In a mixing bowl, take 2 cups of wheat flour.
- Add enough water to knead into a smooth dough. Keep it aside.
- For the stuffing, mash the boiled and peeled potatoes.
- To this, add the pickle masala, nigella seeds, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, chopped coriander, salt (if needed) and mix well.
- Divide the dough into medium round shaped balls.
- Roll out one dough ball into a circle.
- Place around 2 tbsp of the potato stuffing in the centre of the roti and bring the edges together to the centre to seal it.
- Roll out again using little flour.
- Likewise, repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing.
- Heat a tava and cook each paratha using ghee till golden brown spots appear on both the sides of the paratha.
- Serve hot with pickle and curds.
Note: I have used the pickle masala from mango pickle. You can use any pickle masala, leaving aside the chunky pieces of pickle. The quantity of the pickle masala can be adjusted as per your taste. You can add a little more than 1 tbsp of pickle masala. You can even add finely chopped onions and garlic to the potato mixture.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO