Akki Roti is a popular breakfast dish from Karnataka. Akki in Kannada means rice and this roti is made using rice flour, chopped vegetables and spices. Akki Roti is generally served with a spicy chutney. This healthy roti is quite filling and keeps you full for a long time. I have used onions, carrots and coriander leaves to make this roti, but you can add other vegetables like cucumber, cabbage, bottle gourd etc. Here’s the recipe:
1 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 cup grated carrots (gaajar)
½ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
2 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
Few curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
Salt as per taste (namak)
Oil to cook the rotis (around 1 tsp oil per roti)
- In a mixing bowl, add a cup of rice flour.
- Add chopped onions, grated carrots, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, cumin seeds, chopped curry leaves and salt.
- Mix well using a spoon.
- Now, add water gradually and knead to make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is ready, add 1 tbsp oil and knead again for few seconds.
- Take a small portion of the dough and place it on butter paper.
- Shape the dough ball into a thin flat roti using your fingers.
- Lift the roti alongwith the butter paper and flip it on a hot pan.
- Gently take off the butter paper.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp of oil around the roti and allow it to cook.
- Flip the roti and cook it on the other side.
- Allow the roti to cook evenly on both sides.
- Remove it from the pan and serve with tomato coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: