Akki Roti is a popular breakfast dish from Karnataka. Akki in Kannada means rice and this roti is made using rice flour, chopped vegetables and spices. Akki Roti is generally served with a spicy chutney. This healthy roti is quite filling and keeps you full for a long time. I have used onions, carrots and coriander leaves to make this roti, but you can add other vegetables like cucumber, cabbage, bottle gourd etc.
List of ingredients to make Akki roti
Flour : rice flour
Vegetables : onion and carrots
Spices and herbs : green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves, cumin seeds
Salt and oil
Step-wise recipe with pictures
In a mixing bowl or a large plate, add rice flour, onions, carrots, coriander leaves, green vhillies, cumin seeds, curry leaves and salt.
Add water gradually and knead to make a soft dough.
Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
Place a dough ball on butter paper and shape into thin flat roti using your fingers.
Invert the roti on a hot, greased pan.
Drizzle oil arund the roti and allow it to cook.
Cook evenly on both sides.
Remove from the pan and serve with orange coconut chutney.
Rice flour can be replaced with finger millet (ragi) flour or multigrain flour in this recipe.
Any veggies of your choice can be added to the flour.
The dough ball can be patted on the butter paper/parchment paper/greased banana leaf.
- 1 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
- 1 cup grated carrots (gaajar)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Few curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
- 1 tbsp oil (tel)
- Salt as per taste (namak)
- Oil to cook the rotis
- In a mixing bowl, add a cup of rice flour.
- Add chopped onions, grated carrots, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, cumin seeds, chopped curry leaves and salt.Mix well using a spoon.
- Now, add water gradually and knead to make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is ready, add 1 tbsp oil and knead again for few seconds.
- Take a small portion of the dough and place it on butter paper.
- Shape the dough ball into a thin flat roti using your fingers.
- Lift the roti alongwith the butter paper and flip it on a hot pan.
- Gently take off the butter paper.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp of oil around the roti and allow it to cook.
- Flip the roti and cook it on the other side.
- Allow the roti to cook evenly on both sides.
- Remove it from the pan and serve with orange coconut chutney or tomato coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
- Rice flour can be replaced with finger millet (ragi) flour or multigrain flour in this recipe.
- Any veggies of your choice can be added to the flour.
- The dough ball can be patted on the butter paper/parchment paper/greased banana leaf.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.