Beans Stir Fry – South Indian style French beans stir fry, cooked with minimum spices and garnished with coconut.
Beans stir fry is a simple, everyday kind of recipe where chopped French beans are added to a tempering of coconut oil, mustard seeds, udad dal, curry leaves,chillies, onion and garlic. Its cooked for few minutes and then garnished with fresh coconut. This is known by different names in southern India – upkari or palya in Karnataka, poriyal in Tamilnadu and thoran in Kerala. With a minor difference in the usage of some ingredients, they are all the same. You can make upkari/poriyal with veggies like cabbage, snake gourd, carrot, beetroot, ivy-gourd etc. Its easy,quick and a healthy way to add veggies to your diet. This makes for a perfect side dish with sambar-rice or dal-rice. You can even serve them with chapatis.
Beans Stir-fry tastes best when made with fresh,tender French beans. They should not be overcooked and the final dish should have a slight crunch. So here is the recipe for a healthy, vegan French beans sabzi:
Step wise instructions with pictures :
Wash and string 250 grams of French beans
Chop into tiny pieces. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, udad dal, hing, curry leaves, green chillies, chopped onions, chopped garlic and saute.
Add chopped beans and mix.
Add turmeric powder, salt and a tablesppon of water.
Cook covered till the beans are cooked.
Add fresh, grated coconut and mix.
Beans stir fry, ready to be served.
250 grams fresh, tender French beans
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp split black gram / udad dal
a pinch of asafoetida/ hing
few curry leaves
2 green chillies, chopped
a small onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ cup fresh, grated coconut
salt to taste
- Wash and string the French beans.
- Chop them into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, udad dal, hing, curry leaves, chopped chillies, chopped onion and chopped garlic. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped beans. Saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix.
- Add a tablespoon of water and cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes or until the beans are cooked. Do not overcook the beans. The beans should have a slight crunch.
- Next, add fresh, grated coconut and give a quick mix. Turn off the heat.
- Serve beans stir fry with sambar rice, dal-rice or chapatis
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.