Bhogichi Bhaji is a wonderful medley of winter fresh vegetables like red carrots, brinjal, drumstick, fresh green chana, flat green beans (paapdi) etc. This bhaji (sabzi) is prepared on a the day of Bhogi i.e. day prior to Makar Sankranti. Peanuts and sesame seeds ( til) are also added to this which provides warmth and nourishment to the body during winters.
1 red carrot
½ cup fresh green chana
2 tbsp peanuts
10 to 12 flat green beans (paapdi)
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 to 2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
Few curry leaves
2 tbsp roasted sesame powder (til)
2 tsp Kala Masala
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind
1 tbsp grated jaggery
3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
Salt as per taste
1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp grated dry coconut
4 black pepper
½ inch cinnamon
1 small bay leaf
A pinch of asafoetida.
- Kala masala
Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under kala masala except the asafoetida.
- Grind the roasted spices to a fine powder and add asafoetida to it. Keep this aside.
- Soak the peanuts in water for 2 hours
- Soak the tamarind in 3 tbsp water in a small bowl for 30 minutes. When the tamarind turns soft, mash the tamarind in the bowl in which it is soaked.
- Pass it through a strainer and keep the tamarind water aside discarding the tamarind.
- Wash, peel and chop the carrot and potato into 1 inch cubes. Chop the brinjal into 1 inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the drumstick into 2 inches pieces.
- String the flat beans and chop them into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and saute.
- Add potato, drumstick, green chana, peanuts, turmeric powder, chilly powder and saute.
- Add a little water and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Now, add brinjal, carrot and papdi.
- Add a little water if required and cook covered for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tamarind water, grated jaggery, kala masala, roasted sesame powder, grated coconut, salt and mix well.
- Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with bajri bhakri.