Chana Dal Sundal – a stir fried dish made with split chickpeas.
Sundal is a healthy snack made with protein rich legumes and lentils. It is very popular down South, especially Tamilnadu. It is made as prasad during Ganesh Chaturthi and Navratri. Different varieties of sundals are made for all the nine days of Navratri. It also makes for a healthy evening snack. It is very simple to make. All you need is prior soaking of the legumes for few hours or overnight and few basic spices. However, in case of chana dal sundal, there is no need of overnight soaking. Here’s the recipe for Chana Dal Sundal:
1 cup of split chickpeas (chana dal)
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (sarso/rai)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 dry red chillies, broken into large pieces (sookhi laal mirch)
salt as per taste (namak)
4 to 5 tbsp of fresh coconut, grated (nariyal)
Recipe for Black Chana Sundal : Click here
- Wash and soak chana dal for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a pan.
- Add soaked chana dal into boiling water.
- Add salt.
- Cook until the dal is tender. Do not overcook the dal.
- Drain the water and keep cooked dal aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add curry leaves, red chillies and hing.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add cooked dal and mix.
- Add salt as required.
- Finally add freshly grated coconut and give a quick mix.
- Chana Dal Sundal is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :