Most of us stick to healthy eating when it comes to breakfast, lunch and dinner. But when it comes to in-between meals, we tend to reach out to fried snacks/chips/biscuits etc. What if we have some healthy options for these in-between cravings too? If you crave for something chatpata/ spicy, yet healthy at the same time, then this Chana Chaat is for you. This protein rich chaat is a good recipe for those ‘in-between munching’. Its tasty, healthy and above all extremely easy to make. Here goes the recipe:
2 cups black chickpeas (kala chana)
1 small onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped (kakdi)
3 tbsp chopped coriander and mint leaves (dhaniya and pudina)
1 green chilly, finely chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp chaat masala
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind (imli)
1 ½ to 2 inch piece of jaggery (gud)
1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak chanas for 4 hours.
- In a bowl, add ½ cup water and soak tamarind and jaggery for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, squeeze and mash the tamarind and jaggery.
- Strain and keep the pulp aside.
- Pressure cook the chanas for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once the steam escapes fully, open the pressure cooker, drain the water and transfer the boiled chanas to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped chilly, tamarind-jaggery pulp, chaat masala, chopped coriander- mint leaves, salt and give a good mix.
- Add the lemon juice for that extra tangy chaat.
- Chatpata chana chaat is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: