Dal Makhni – a flavourful, creamy dal is an authentic North Indian preparation. Made with whole black gram (sabut udad), kidney beans (rajma) and split bengal gram (chana dal), this quick and easy recipe is a popular recipe served in restaurants. It tastes best when served with roti, lachcha paratha or plain steamed rice.
1 cup Whole black gram (sabut udad)
2 tbsp Red kidney beans (Rajma)
2 tbsp split gram dal (chana dal)
4 to 5 Kashmiri Dry red chillies
A small piece of Ginger
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp Ghee
3 to 4 Tomatoes
1 tbsp Kasoori methi
1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
¼ tsp grated nutmeg (jaiphal)
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Fresh cream
¼ cup Milk (optional)
Salt as per taste
- Soak sabut udad (whole black gram), rajma (kidney beans) and chana dal (split bengal gram) in water for 5 hours or overnight.
- Soak dry chillies in water for 15 minutes.
- Grind ginger, garlic, dry chillies to a coarse paste.
- Clean and wash black lentils, kidney beans and channa dal.
- Pressure cook all the dals with water, ghee, ginger garlic chilli paste and salt for 4 to 5 whistles.
- In the mean time blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree.
- To the boiled dal, add pureed tomatoes, kasoori methi, butter, grated nutmeg and tomato ketchup.
- Simmer on slow fire for 15 minutes.
- You can add milk at this stage if needed. I have not added milk in this recipe.
- Add fresh cream. Cook till you get the right consistency.
- Garnish with fresh cream and serve Dal makhni with rotis or rice. It tastes heavenly with rice.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO