Today, I am sharing a healthier version of Methi malai matar. This methi malai matar is prepared without the malai (cream). Instead of malai, curd is used to make the gravy. The masala is made by adding poppy seeds and cashews among other ingredients. Cashews, curds and poppy seeds together give a creamy texture to the gravy. It tastes great with Ajwain paratha.
2 cups methi leaves (fenugreek leaves), chopped
1 cup green peas (boiled)
1 tsp oil
½ cup thick curds (beaten)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt as per taste
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger
3 green chillies
1 tsp khuskhus (poppy seeds)
4 to 5 cashew nuts
- Wash the methi leaves and chop them. Keep them aside.
- Grind the tomato to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Grind onions, garlic, ginger, green chillies, poppy seeds, cashew nuts with a little water to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped methi leaves and little salt.
- Saute it for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the masala paste and saute it on a low flame till the raw smell of the onion goes away.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add curds and mix well.
- Now add the turmeric powder, garam masala and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Further, add the cooked methi leaves and boiled green peas.
- Add water if required to adjust the consistency.
- Cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or any paratha.
- It tastes great with ajwain paratha.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO