Are you looking for a starter/snack recipe for a party, that will look impressive and be loved by your guests? Make these mini batata vadas, prick a fancy tooth pick on each vada and serve. Your guests will love these bite sized vadas which does not call for forks or spoons.
For the Vada filling
5 to 6 Potatoes
2 Green chillies
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
½ inch Ginger
1 tsp Mustard seeds
¼ tsp Asafoetida
10 to 12 curry leaves
|1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
½ cup Fresh coriander
Oil 1 tbsp
For the outer covering
¾ cup Besan (Bengal gram flour
½ tsp Turmeric powder
½ tsp Chilly powder
1 tsp Oil
Salt as per taste
- Boil the potatoes with water in a pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Once it cools, peel the potatoes and mash the potatoes.
- Grind green chillies, ginger and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the ground mixture, turmeric powder and saute it.
- To this, add the mashed potatoes and salt. Give it a good mix.
- Add chopped coriander and mix it well.
- Remove from fire and cool.
- Make small round balls.
- For the outer covering, combine besan, turmeric powder, salt, oil, chilly powder and 1/3 cup of water and mix it well.
- Dip each vada into the batter and fry it in hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Prick a fancy toothpick on each batata vada and serve hot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.