Palak Chole is a healthy preparation as it combines the iron rich palak (spinach) with protein rich kabuli chana (white chickpeas) . Kabuli chana, when cooked in spinach based gravy tastes absolutely delicious. Make this healthy Palak Chole and serve with hot rotis. Here goes the recipe:
1 cup kabuli chana (white chickpeas)
2 cups spinach, chopped
3 onions, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green chillies
5 cloves of garlic
1 ½ inches ginger
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp oil
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak kabuli chanas in water for 5 hours.
- Pressure cook the chanas for 4 to 5 whistles.
- When the pressure escapes fully, remove the boiled chanas and keep it aside.
- Add washed and chopped spinach to boiling water.
- Let it remain in the water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the blanched spinach with the help of a strainer and put it into cold water.
- Putting the blanched spinach to cold water ensures retaining of green colour of spinach.
- Blend the blanched spinach alongwith green chillies, garlic and ginger to a smooth puree. Keep this aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped onions. Saute and cook till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Now, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Add the spinach puree and mix.
- Add little water as per the required consistency. I have added half cup water.
- Cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve Palak Chole with rotis.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO