This recipe of rava idlis can come to your rescue when you want to make a quick and healthy snack. The batter need not be fermented as in the case of regular idlis. Here’s the recipe:
2 cups semolina (rava)
1 cup curds (dahi)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
¾ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
Few curry leaves
1 tsp fruit salt (eno)
Salt as per taste
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, udad dal, chana dal and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add rava and saute on slow flame.
- Roast the rava till it turns aromatic.
- Turn off the flame and allow the rava to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the roasted rava, curds and mix.
- Keep this mixture aside for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add salt and fruit salt to the mixture.
- Add little water to the batter at a time, and keep mixing till you get the desired consisteny.
- The batter should not be too thin or too thick.
- Grease idli plates with oil and pour the batter into idli moulds.
- Steam the idlis for 10 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Unmould the idlis and serve hot with green chutney and/or sambar.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: