Sabut Masoor Usal is an easy to make dal which is lip smacking for sure. Cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices, it goes well with rotis, parathas and rice. It tastes heavenly with methi theplas.
1 ½ cups Whole red lentils (Sabut Masoor)
1 tbsp Oil (tel)
1 tbsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
4 to 5 cloves of Garlic (lehsun)
2 medium sized Onions (pyaaz)
2 medium sized Tomatoes (tamatar)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red Chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp Cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt as per taste (namak)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhaniya)
- Wash and soak whole red lentils (sabut masoor) in water overnight or for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and keep it aside.
- Chop onion, tomato, garlic and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked and drained masoor.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala powder, cumin coriander powder and mix it well.
- Add 2 cups of water and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook it for 2 to 3 whistles.
- When the steam is completely let out, open the pressure cooker.
- Garnish masoor usal with chopped coriander.
- Serve sabut masoor usal with chapatis or parathas or steamed rice. It tastes very good with methi theplas.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO