This easy to make Masoor usal is a lip smacking dal for sure. Cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices, it goes well with rotis, parathas and rice. It tastes heavenly with methi theplas.
1 ½ cups Whole red lentils (Sabut Masoor)
1 tbsp Oil (tel)
1 tbsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
4 to 5 cloves of Garlic (lehsun)
2 medium sized Onions (pyaaz)
2 medium sized Tomatoes (tamatar)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red Chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp Cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt as per taste (namak)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhaniya)
- Wash and soak whole red lentils (sabut masoor) in water overnight or for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and keep it aside.
- Chop onion, tomato, garlic and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked and drained masoor.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala powder, cumin coriander powder and mix it well.
- Add 2 cups of water and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook it for 2 to 3 whistles.
- When the steam is completely let out, open the pressure cooker.
- Garnish masoor usal with chopped coriander.
- Serve with chapatis or parathas or steamed rice. It tastes very good with methi theplas.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO