Sai Bhaji is a Sindhi vegetarian curry loaded with vegetables, leafy greens and dal. Sai in Sindhi means green and bhaji is vegetable. Sai bhaji is a mashed mixture of leafy greens, vegetables and chana dal. It can be served with rice, roti, koki etc. It is generally served with bhuga chawal which is nothing but rice cooked with whole spices and caramelized onions.
Sai Bhaji is my way of feeding veggies and leafy greens to the fussy eaters at home. Sai bhaji with bhuga chawal is loved by all at home and so I make it a point to make it once in a fortnight. Here I have used palak, methi, dill leaves, bottle gourd, brinjal and cluster beans. You can add any vegetable/ greens of your choice to make this nutritious one pot dish. Let’s take a look at the recipe:
1 bunch spinach /palak (200 gms)
1 cup fenugreek leaves /methi (60 gms)
¼ cup dill leaves (suva ) (10 gms)
¼ cup split bengal gram (chana dal)
½ cup chopped bottlegourd (lauki)
¼ cup cluster beans, chopped (gavaar)
1 medium sized brinjal, chopped (baingan)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
1 medium sized onion, chopped (pyaaz)
1 medium sized tomato, chopped (tamatar)
3 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
½ tsp garam masala
salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak chana dal for 4 hours.
- Wash the leafy greens, vegetables and chop them.
- Heat a pressure cooker.
- Add oil. Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions.
- Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped green chillies and chopped tomato.
- Saute and cook till tomato turns soft.
- Add chopped palak, methi , dill leaves, bottle gourd, cluster beans, brinjal, soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala, salt and a cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker once the steam has escaped completely.
- Mash the vegetables using a masher.
- Serve Sai Bhaji with bhuga chawal.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: