Stuffed Ivy gourds / Bharli Tondli – a classic dish from the Maharashtrian cuisine.
Maharashtrian cuisine has some traditional recipes for stuffed vegetables – Bharli Vaangi (stuffed brinjals), Bharli Mirchi (Stuffed capsicums),Bharli tondli (stuffed ivy gourds) to name a few. The veggies are stuffed in a variety of ways.
Bharli Tondli is stuffed with masala made of coconut, onions, peanuts, jaggery and goda masala. Peanuts and coconuts are widely used in Marathi cuisine. Goda masala is an authentic Maharashtrian spice blend with a distinct aroma. The combination of coconut, peanuts, jaggery, onion and goda masala gives a wonderful flavour to this dish. Here goes the recipe for stuffed ivy gourds:
¼ kg Ivy gourds (tendli/ tindora)
2 potatoes (aloo)
¼ cup fresh, grated coconut (nariyal)
2 onions, sliced (pyaaz)
4 tsp oil (tel)
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
½ inch ginger (adrak)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
2 tsp goda masala
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarson)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a small piece of tamarind (imli)
salt as per taste (namak)
¼ cup roasted peanut powder (bhuna mungphali powder)
a small piece of jaggery (gud)
2 tbsp fresh, chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
For Masala paste
- Heat a pan and add grated coconut.
- Dry roast till it turns aromatic.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the pan and add sliced onions, chopped garlic and ginger.
- Saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Transfer this alongwith roasted coconut to a mixer jar.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, goda masala, tamarind, salt and blend to a smooth paste.
- To this ground masala paste, add roasted peanut powder. Mix well and keep aside.
For stuffing the ivy gourds
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into wedges and keep them immersed in water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Wash the ivy gourds (tendli).
- Trim both the ends and make vertical slits perpendicular to each other, without breaking them.
- Now, stuff the masalas into each ivy gourd
- Keep the remaining masala aside.
How to proceed further
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add stuffed gourds and potato wedges.
- Cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add the remaining masalas, little water, jaggery and give a mix.
- Cook covered till the vegetables are cooked well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Stuffed Ivy gourds with chapatis or bhakri.
- In the absence of goda masala, garam masala can be used.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: