Stuffed Brinjal | Bharli Vaangi is a typical Maharahstrian dish and is a must try recipe for even people who do not like brinjals. The combination of ingredients that go into this dish makes it very tasty. Morever this humble vegetable is packed with plenty of nutrients.Roasted peanuts, coconut and onions are ground and stuffed in the brinjals and cooked on a low flame. Peanuts lend a unique flavour and taste to the brinjals. Stuffed brinjal with bajra roti makes an amazing combination.
10 to 12 Small Brinjals
½ cup Dry coconut grated
¼ cup Roasted peanuts
3 medium sized Onions (chopped) .
5 cloves Garlic (chopped)
1 inch Ginger (chopped)
2 tsp Chilly powder
1 tsp Cumin pdr
1 tsp Coriander pdr
½ tsp Garam masala
1 tsp Jaggery (grated)
4 tbsp Oil
- Wash the brinjals.
- Slit them and keep it aside.
- Grind the roasted peanuts into a coarse powder.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan, and roast the dry coconut, onions, ginger and garlic till the onions turn golden.
- After this cools down, blend it to a coarse paste.
- To this ground paste, add the peanut powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Stuff the slit brinjals with the above mixture.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the remaining oil, and gently place the brinjals.
- Toss them well to coat with oil.
- Let the brinjals cook for some time on medum flame.
- Then add the remaining ground mixture and jaggery.
- Add half a cup of water, if required.
- Cover and cook until done.
- Occasionally toss them or flip them to cook evenly.
- Serve hot with chapatis or bajra bhakris.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :