Baingan Bharta is a delicious baingan (brinjal) dish made by charring the brinjal. The smoky flavour due to charring makes this dish different. Bhaingan Bharta with Bajra Roti, Missi roti or even plain chapatis is an absolute comfort meal. Here’s the recipe:
1 big Brinjal (baingan)
1 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
2 medium Onions, chopped (pyaaz)
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
2 medium tomato,chopped (tamatar)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilli powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp Cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tbsp Oil + few drops to smear the brinjal
1 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash the brinjal.
- Pat dry and prick the brinjal with a fork.
- Smear few drops of oil all around the brinjal.
- Roast it directly over open flame by placing it on the gas burner, turning it around so that the skin is charred completely from all sides.
- Let it cool completely.
- Peel off the outer skin and discard the charred skin.
- Mash the brinjal.
- Keep this aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When it crackles, add chopped onions and cook on a medium flame till it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook.
- When the tomatoes are cooked well, add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Add mashed brinjal and give it a good mix.
- At this stage, you can add a little water if required.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Baingan Bharta with bajra roti or missi roti or plain chapatis.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: