Brinjal Rava fry – slices of brinjal marinated with spices, coated with semolina and shallow fried.
Brinjal Rava fry also known as Vaangyache Kaap in Maharashtra and Vaingana Phodi in Karnataka are spiced, shallow fried brinjal slices. They have crispy exterior and are soft from within. They are best served with dal rice / dal khichdi /varan bhaat etc. Here is the recipe:
1 large brinjal (baingan)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
¾ cup of semolina (rava/ sooji)
Oil for shallow frying the brinjal slices
- Wash the brinjal.
- Discard the stalk.
- Slice the brinjal into 1 cm thick circular discs.
- Keep these slices immersed in water to prevent oxidation.
- In a mixing bowl add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala, salt and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add little water to make a semi thick paste.
- Apply this masala paste to all the brinjal slices. T
- The brinjal slices should be evenly coated on both sides, with the masala.
- Now, coat the masala-coated brinjal slices with rava on both sides.
- Heat a pan and add 3 to 4 tbsp oil.
- Place the brinjal slices on the pan.
- Let the slices cook on low flame.
- When they are cooked well on one side, flip the slices and allow them to cook on the other side till they turn crispy.
- Serve hot as a side dish with dal khichdi or dal chawal.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: