Khandeshi Vaangyacha Bhareet – a smoky, delectable dish made with large, fleshy green brinjals.
Baingan Bharta (Eggplant mash) or Vaangyacha Bhareet is a delicious sabzi made with roasted eggplants. This dish is made in variety of ways. In North India, baingan bharta is made by mashing the roasted brinjal and cooking it in a spicy onion tomato masala, the recipe for which is here. In Maharashtra, Baingan Bharta is known as Vaangyacha Bhareet and is prepared in multiple ways. One popular recipe is Khandeshi Vaangyacha Bhareet which is made using large green brinjals. There is another recipe where curds are added to the mashed roasted brinjal and is known as Vaangyacha Dahyatla Bhareet. Yet another recipe for Bhareet is where tamarind pulp is added to the bhareet and is known as Vaangyacha Kolaatla Bhareet.
Khandeshi Vaangyacha Bhareet
Khandeshi Vaangyacha Bhareet is a popular dish from the Khandesh region of Maharashtra. The region to the north of Maharashtra with areas such as Jalgaon, Nashik and Ahmednagar is known as Khandesh. Khandeshi Vaangyacha Bhareet is made using large green and white brinjals, spring onions, peanuts, dry coconut and spices.
The large green brinjals have minimum seeds and is perfect for making bhareet. The brinjal is roasted on direct flame until it is charred from all sides and is cooked well. The charred skin is peeled off and then the roasted brinjal is mashed well. The mashed brinjal is then cooked with spring onions, peanuts and spices. The peanuts add a nice crunch to the bhareet. This bhareet pairs excellently with jowar rotis.
If you do not find green eggplant, this recipe would work with any type of fleshy eggplants.
List of ingredients to make Khandeshi Vangyacha Bhareet
Large green and white brinjal
asafoetida, salt and oil
Step-wise recipe with instructions
Wash the brinjal and wipe it dry. Smear the brinjal with few drops of oil. Place the brinjal on direct flame.
Roast the brinjal while turning frequently.
When the brinjal is roasted well and the skin becomes brittle, take it off the flame and allow it to cool.
Once the brinjal cools, peel off the charred skin.
Using a fork or a knife, mash the brinjal and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds start crackling, add asafoetida, chopped garlic, bits of dry coconut, chopped green chillies and peanuts.
Saute on low heat till the peanuts are well roasted. Add chopped spring onions.
Saute until the onion turns soft. Add turmeric powder.
Add mashed brinjal, salt and mix well.
Cook on high heat for 4 to 5 minutes while stirring continuously.
Serve hot with jowar rotis.
Khandeshi Vangyacha Bhareet
- 1 large green brinjal
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of chopped dry coconut
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Wash the brinjal and wipe it dry.
- Smear the brinjal with few drops of oil.
- Place the brinjal on direct flame.
- Roast the brinjal while turning frequently.
- When the brinjal is roasted well and the skin becomes brittle, take it off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Once the brinjal cools, peel off the charred skin.
- Using a fork or a knife, mash the brinjal and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add asafoetida, chopped garlic, bits of dry coconut, chopped green chillies and peanuts.
- Saute on low heat till the peanuts are well roasted.
- Add chopped spring onions.
- Saute until the onion turns soft.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add mashed brinjal, salt and mix well.
- Cook on high heat for 4 to 5 minutes whiles tirring continuously.
- Serve hot with jowar rotis.
More Eggplant Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.