Vaangi Bhaat – a traditional rice preparation with brinjals, famous in Karnataka and Maharashtra.
Vaangi Bhaat is a flavourful rice preparation with rice, brinjals and spices. This is quite a popular dish in Karnataka as well as Maharashtra though the spices used are different. Maharashtrians use goda masala to make Vaangi Bhaat whereas in Karnataka, a special spice blend called Vaangi bhaat powder is used. Today, I am sharing the Karnataka style recipe. If you have Vaangi bhaat powder handy, this dish comes together in no time. Vaangi Bhaat powder is easily available in stores, the famous one being MTR Vaangi Bhaat powder. However, you can easily make this powder at home, store it and use as and when required. So, let us see how to make the special spice blend and Vaangi bhaat.
For Vaangi Bhaat powder
15 to 18 dry red chillies
¼ cup split chickpeas (chana dal)
¼ cup split black gram (udad dal)
¼ cup coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
½ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
2 to 3 inche cinnamon (dalchini)
10 cloves (laung)
¼ cup grated dry coconut
½ tsp oil
For Vaangi Bhaat
2 ½ cups cooked rice
3 medium sized brinjals
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
½ tsp asafoetida
few curry leaves
2 tbsp peanuts
½ tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp tamarind pulp
salt as per taste
3 to 4 tbsp vaangi bhaat powder
1 ½ tsp jaggery powder
2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- To make vaangi bhat powder, heat ½ tsp oil in a pan.
- Add dry red chillies.
- Roast the chillies on a low flame till they turn crisp. Keep aside.
- Likewise, roast all the ingredients (chana dal, udad dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, methi, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and dry coconut) one by one till they turn aromatic and keep aside.
- Roast the grated coconut until it turns brown, taking care not to burn it. If coconut is not roasted well, it will reduce the shelf life of masala powder.
- Allow the roasted ingredients to cool completely.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar. Blend to a fine powder.
- Vaangi bhat powder is ready. This powder can be stored for few months, if refrigerated.
- Wash the brinjals and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Keep the chopped brinjals immersed in a bowl of water to prevent them from turning black.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, chana dal, udad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves and peanuts.
- Saute till the peanuts are roasted well.
- Next, add chopped brinjals.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and tamarind pulp. Mix well.
- Cook covered till the brinjals are cooked well.
- Now add the vaangi bhat powder, jaggery powder, 3 to 4 tbsp water, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and mix gently.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita and papad.
To make tamarind pulp, soak a lemon sized tamarind ball in ¼ cup of water for 20 minutes. Sueeze the tamarind in water and strain.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :