Veg Pulao is a flavourful rice dish cooked with a medley of vegetables and spices.
Veg Pulao or Vegetarian Pulao is a commonly made vegetarian rice dish. The combination of fragrant rice, aromatic spices and healthy, colourful vegetables makes it a delectable dish. There are different ways of making veg pulao. Some use whole spices for the pulao while others use masala powder. The vegetables used for the pulao can be customised as per one’s preference.
About Veg Pulao
Veg Pulao is a fragrant and flavourful, one-pot dish made with rice, vegetables and spices. Veg Pulao is a complete dish on its own and does not need any accompaniments as such. However you can serve it with raita, papad or some curry to enhance the dining experience.
The process of cooking veg pulao begins with washing the rice well and soaking it for 30 minutes. Soaking the rice helps to soften the grains, remove some of the starch from the rice and gives a fluffy texture to the rice when cooked. Soaking the rice also reduces the cooking time of the rice. It can be cooked in a pan or a pressure cooker. The recipe shared here is of pressure cooker veg pulao.
Veg Pulao makes for a balanced meal owing to combination of rice and veggies. It does not need extensive cooking skills and is a great option when you want to cook something quickly. Since its cooked in a single pot/ pressure cooker, it is a convenient option for quick and hassle-free cooking.
List of Ingredients to make Veg Pulao
Rice : Though you can use any rice for Veg pulao, long-grained Basmati rice is best suited for this dish.
Spices : Cumin seeds, Bay leaves, Cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves, black peppercorns, green chillies, turmeric powder, red-chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala.
Veggies : Onion, tomato, Potato, carrot, French beans and green peas
Other ingredients : ginger garlic paste, oil, ghee, salt.
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash the rice well 3 to 4 times and soak it for 30 minutes. Soaking the rice softens the rice and reduces the cooking time of the rice,
After 30 minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
Heat a pressure cooker. Add oil and ghee.
Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and black peppercorns.
Add thinly sliced onions and green chillies.
Saute till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
Add chopped tomato and saute for few seconds.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the tomato turns mushy.
Add chopped potato, carrot, French beans and green peas. Saute for few seconds.
Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
Add soaked rice and give a gentle mix.
Add water. Mix well and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Once the steam escapes completely, open the pressure cooker.
Using a fork or a spoon, fluff up the rice. Serve hot as it is, or with raita and papad.
Notes : If preparing the pulao in a pot/pan, use 2 cups of water.
Veg Pulao | Veg Pulao in Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup long grained basmati rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 5 to 6 black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies, cut lengthwise
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup French beans, chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ¾ cup water
- salt to taste
- Wash the rice well 3 to 4 times and soak it for 30 minutes.
- After30 minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker.
- Add oil and ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves and black peppercorns.
- Add thinly sliced onions and green chillies.
- Saute till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add chopped tomato and saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the tomato turns mushy.
- Add chopped potato, carrot, French beans and green peas.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder,garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Add soaked rice and give a gentle mix. Add water.
- Mix well and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the steam escapes completely, open the pressure cooker.
- Using a fork or a spoon, fluff up therice.
- Serve hot.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.