Sprouted Matki Bhaat – a delicious rice preparation using sprouted moth beans.
Sprouts are highly nutritious, and when cooked with rice, they make delicious one pot meals. For eg. Matki Bhaat, Sprouted masoor khichdi etc. It offers both carbohydrates and proteins in one healthy package. Sprouted matki and rice cooked in green masala paste, tastes great with curds, pickle and papad. Here’s the recipe:
1 ½ sprouted moth beans (matki) (How to sprout matki)
¾ cup rice, (chawal)
1 small onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 tbsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
2 green chillies (hari mirch)
6 to 7 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped (hara dhaniya)
a tsp of cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tablespoon oil (tel)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
Salt as per taste (namak)
2 tsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped (hara dhaniya)
1 tsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Blend 1 tbsp grated coconut, green chillies, garlic and coriander to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till they change colour.
- Add the ground paste.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix.
- Add the sprouted matki and give a gentle mix.
- Now, add rice and give a mix.
- Add 2 ½ cups of water.
- Cook covered on a medium flame for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice is cooked, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve matki bhaat with curd/ raita and papad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
Sprouted Matki bhaat will taste great with any of the following raitas: