Vaalacha Birda is a simple Maharashtrian dish made with sprouted field beans/lima beans (vaal). The recipe may vary from family to family. I am sharing the recipe that is followed in my family. Vaalacha birda pairs well with chapatis, khichdi and plain rice.
2 cups sprouted and peeled field beans/lima beans (Vaal)
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz/ kaanda)
4 cloves garlic, chopped (lehsun )
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
A small piece of jaggery (gud)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (dhaniya/ kothmir)
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic and asafoetida.
- Add chopped onions.
- Saute for a minute.
- Now, add the sprouted and peeled field beans and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt, jaggery and a cup of water.
- Cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Keep checking at intervals and give a stir.
- When the beans are cooked well, turn off the heat.
- Garnish Vaalacha birda with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO