Beetroot Hummus – Hummus with the goodness of beetroot.
Hummus is a delicious spread/dip made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. Hummus is generally served with pita bread and falafel. Apart from that, it can be used as sandwich spread, as salad dressing and also as a dip for juliennes of cucumber, carrot etc.
Beetroot hummus is a variation to the classic hummus recipe. I have added boiled beetroot in addition to the other ingredients. I have used 2 small sized beetroot to get this beautiful pink coloured hummus. Here’s the recipe for Beetroot Hummus
1 cup of chickpeas (kabuli chana)
2 small sized beetroot, boiled and chopped
5 tbsp tahini paste (Tahini paste is made by blending roasted sesame seeds (til) with water)
4 large cloves of garlic (lehsun)
3 tbsp olive oil (jaitun ka tel)
3 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
2 tsp roasted white and black sesame seeds (til)
Few boiled chickpeas (kabuli chana)
1 tbsp olive oil (jaitun ka tel)
- Wash the chickpeas and soak in water for 6 to 7 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas for 3 to 4 whistles .
- Allow the pressure to escape fully before opening the pressure cooker.
- Let the chickpeas cool down.
- Strain the chickpeas and reserve the water in which it was cooked, for later use.
- Trasfer the cooked chickpeas to a mixer jar.
- Add chopped, boiled beetroot, tahini paste, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and blend to a smooth, thick, creamy paste.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over it.
- Garnish with roasted white and black sesame seeds, chopped coriander leaves and few boiled chickpeas.
- Serve as a dip with pita bread/ lavash/ falafel.
Note: the amount of garlic, tahini paste, olive oil is all about each persons preference, so the quantity can be modified to suit your taste.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: