Red Amaranth leaves Pachadi – Pachadi with the goodness of red Amaranth leaves.
Pachadi is a South Indian variant of raita. It is made with curds, veggies and spices. Vegetables like okra, eggplant, bottle gourd, beetroot, Gongura are used to make pachadi. It makes for a good accompaniment with rice or as side dish with meals. The vegetables are cooked and added to curds which is tempered with spices. Certain Pachadi recipes call for a masala made with coconut and spices. The veggies are cooked with this masala and then is added to curds.
Pachadi is served for festive occasions and is an essential element of Onam Sadhya. It works well as an everyday side dish with meals.
Red Amaranth leaves is a powerhouse of nutrition and can be used in variety of recipes ranging from stir fries to salads to fritters. Red Amaranth leaves Pachadi is another way to add red amaranth leaves to your diet. Here is the recipe for Red Amaranth leaves Pachadi.
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Wash the Amaranth leaves and chop them.
Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, udad dal, curry leaves, hing, dry red chillies and chopped green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
Add chopped Amaranth leaves (3 cups of chopped leaves). Add salt and mix. Allow it to cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Once cooked, keep aside.
Whisk the curds until smooth.
Add cooked amaranth leaves to whisked curds and mix well.
For tempering, heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a small pan. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
When they start spluttering, pour the tempering into the pachadi. Serve with steamed rice.
1 bunch red amaranth leaves
1 ¼ cup curds
1 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp split green gram (udad dal )
2 green chillies, chopped
2 dry red chillies, broken into pieces
few curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
1 tsp coconut oil
1 dry red chilli and curry leaves
- Wash and chop the amaranth leaves. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, udad dal, curry leaves, hing, dry red chillies and chopped green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped amaranth leaves. Add salt . Let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the curd. Add salt to taste. Whisk well.
- To the whisked curds, add cooked amaranth leaves and mix well.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- When they start spluttering, add tempering into the pachadi.
- Serve Red Amaranth Pachadi with steamed rice.
Recipe for Green Amaranth Potato Sabzi : Click Here
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.