Palak Mooli Saag – a nutritious sabzi made with spinach and radish greens.
It is that time of the year again when the market is loaded with fresh leafy vegetables. Winter is the best time to buy vibrant looking nutritious leafy greens . There are certain greens that are available only during winters, for eg…mustard leaves, bathua and chickpea greens. This is the time to consume lot of greens in the form of sarso ka saag, saag paneer, hare chane ka saag etc. Though spinach and radish greens are available throughout the year, winter brings with it the best quality of these greens.
Saag usually refers to leafy greens such as spinach, radish, mustard greens, bathua, fenugreek etc. Paalak Mooli Saag is a delicious sabzi made with spinach and radish greens. It is an absolute delight to have this saag with bajra roti in winters. I have used only the leaves of radish to make this sabzi. Here is the recipe for Palak Mooli Saag.
Step wise recipe
1 bunch of radish greens and 2 bunches of spinach
Wash and chop the leafy greens
Boil water in a pot.
Add chopped radish and chopped spinach.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Drain the water and dip the blanched greens in cold water
Drain the water and transfer the blanched greens to a blender jar.
Blend to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
When the seeds start crackling, add chopped onions and saute.
Add ginger garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Saute till the onions turn soft and golden brown.
Add chopped tomatoes.
Saute and cook till the tomato turns soft and mushy.
Add spinach- radish paste and mix.
Add red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
Serve hot with bajra roti.
1 bunch of radish greens (mooli ke patte)
2 bunches of spinach (palak)
1 tbsp ghee or oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp cumin coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
salt as per taste
- Wash radish and spinach greens. Chop them.
- Boil around 4 to 5 cups of water in a pot.
- Add chopped radish leaves and spinach. Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and drop the blanched leaves into cold water. This is done to retain the green colour of the greens.
- Drain the water and transfer the blanched leaves to a blender jar. Blend to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion. Saute and cook.
- Add ginger garlic paste and chopped green chillies.
- Saute till the onion turns soft and golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato. Saute and cook till the tomato turns soft and mushy.
- Stir in the radish-spinach paste. Mix well.
- Add red chilly powder, cumin-corainder powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve Palak mooli saag with bajra roti.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Do follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Thank you so much