Dalia Upma is a nutritious breakfast dish made with broken wheat and veggies. I have added carrots and capsicum in this upma. You can even add green peas and sweet corn to this upma and make it more flavorful and colourful.
1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
Few curry leaves (kadi patha)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1 medium sized onion, chopped (pyaaz)
½ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
¼ cup chopped capsicum(Shimla mirch)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 to 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (dhaniya)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups water
- Heat a pan.
- Add broken wheat and dry roast till it changes colour and starts giving out an aroma.
- Keep this aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee.
- Add udad dal.
- When it starts spluttering, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, grated ginger and onion.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped carrots and capsicum.
- Add roasted broken wheat and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- When the steam escapes fully, open the pressure cooker.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO