Broken Wheat Upma / Dalia Upma is a nutritious breakfast dish made with broken wheat and veggies. I have added carrots and capsicum in this upma. You can even add green peas and sweet corn to this upma and make it more flavorful and colourful. Here’s the recipe for Dalia Upma:
1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
Few curry leaves (kadi patha)
2 green chillies, chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1 medium sized onion, chopped (pyaaz)
½ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
¼ cup chopped capsicum(Shimla mirch)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 to 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (dhaniya)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups water
- Heat a pan.
- Add broken wheat and dry roast till it changes colour and starts giving out an aroma.
- Keep this aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add ghee.
- Add udad dal.
- When it starts spluttering, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, grated ginger and onion.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped carrots and capsicum.
- Add roasted broken wheat and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- When the steam escapes fully, open the pressure cooker.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot as it is or with coconut chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO