Caramel Custard is a delicious dessert with a soft caramel on top. This is a simple and perfect dessert for a quick treat. Here goes the recipe :
400 ml milk
5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the caramel
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
- In a mixing bowl take 3 eggs, add the milk, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Mix them well with a whisk. Keep this aside.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan.
- Add ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup water.
- Allow the sugar to caramelize. Do not stir.
- Once the sugar is caramelized, remove from fire and pour the caramel into a mould/tin.
- Spread the caramel evenly.
- Cover the mould/tin with a lid or aluminium foil.
- In a steamer, add 2 cups of water and place a trivet at the bottom.
- Place the mould/tin on the trivet. Cover and steam for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, open the lid of the steamer.
- Remove the tin from the steamer. Let it cool.
- Once it cools down, refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, use a knife to loosen the custard from the sides. Place a plate on the tin and holding the tin carefully, invert the tin. Caramel custard is ready to be served.
- It is important not to stir the sugar while making the caramel. Stirring the sugar will result in the caramel getting sticky and thick.
- The sugar should not be cooked for a long time , or else the caramel will get bitter.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO