Coconut milk is used in number of dishes. Added to South Indian curries, payasams, Thai curries, Vegan recipes (to name a few), it is an important ingredient in the kitchen. Nowadays, it is available in the market. But you can make fresh coconut milk easily at home. Let’s see how to make it at home.
1 ½ cup of fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
1 cup of water (room temperature)
How to break open a coconut – click here
- Add fresh grated coconut to a mixer jar.
- Add ½ a cup of water.
- Blend to a fine paste.
- Strain through a fine sieve and collect the coconut milk in a bowl.
- This is the first extract (thick coconut milk).
- Grind the coconut remains again with ½ a cup of water.
- Strain and collect the coconut milk.
- This is the second extract (thin coconut milk).
- You can repeat the process using the coconut remains to extract the third extract which will be thinner in texture than the second extract.
- It can be stored in an airtight container upto 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or can be frozen upto a month.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: