Drumsticks / Moringa also known as Sahjan in Hindi is said to be one of the healthiest vegetables. In the recent years, it has been proclaimed as a superfood for the nutrition it offers. The most amazing thing about moringa tree is that every part of the tree is useful. The leaves and flowers of the tree are edible and highly nutritious.
Drumsticks can be cooked in several ways. I have earlier shared the recipe of drumstick dal and vegetable sambar with drumsticks. Today, lets see how to make drumstick curry. This is an extremely easy and quick recipe made with very few ingredients. Do not go by the simplicity of the recipe. This curry is very tasty and pairs excellently with chapatis and rice. Here goes the recipe:
4 drumsticks (shahjan ki phali)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp goda masala
1 inch piece of jaggery (gud)
3 tbsp grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 cup of water (paani)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (hara dhaniya)
- Peel the drumsticks and cut into 2 to 2½ inch pieces.
- Rinse the drumstick pieces with water, drain the water and keep the drumsticks aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the drumstick pieces.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, goda masala, jaggery, salt and grated coconut.
- Give it a good mix.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker when the steam escapes completely.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis or rice.
In case you do not have goda masala, you can use garam masala.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: