Drumstick dal is made by cooking masoor dal, drumstick, onion, tomato and flavoured with coconut and spices. Take a break from your usual dal and try this South Indian drumstick dal. This goes well with rice as well as idlis and dosas.
1 cup Masoor dal (split red lentils)
1 small Tomato
1 small Onion
1 tsp Turmeric powder
3 tbsps Coconut scraped
4 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
15 to 20 Curry leaves
2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 to 2 Dry red chillies
½ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak masoor dal for an hour.
- Peel the drumsticks and make 2” pieces.
- Boil the masoor dal with drumsticks, tomato, onion, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles.
- In the mean time, grind coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, half of the curry leaves and chilly powder.
- When the dal is cooked, transfer it to a deep pan and add the coconut paste to it.
- Cook it on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the tempering by heating oil, mustard seeds, hing, remaining curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add the tempering to the dal.
- Serve hot with rice and papad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :
Looking for more dal recipes, have a look at the following: