Dal Hari Bhari is a flavourful dal prepared by adding palak (spinach) and methi (fenugreek) leaves to moong dal. This dal with steamed rice is an absolute comfort food. Palak and methi added to the dal increases its nutritive value. When kids create a fuss to eat leafy greens, this is a good way to include the greens in their diet.
1 cup split green gram(Moong dal)
1 cup Chopped spinach leaves (palak)
1 cup Chopped fenugreek leaves (methi)
½ cup Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya)
1 large Chopped onion (pyaaz)
1 large Chopped tomato (tamatar)
1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
1 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp clarified butter(ghee) 1 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp Red Chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp garam masala
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak moong dal in water for an hour.
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric and salt for 2 to 3 whistles and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the onions and saute till they turn brown and soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and mix.
- Add the chopped palak, methi, coriander and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder and garam masala.
- Add the cooked dal and mix it well.
- Add water if necessary to get the desired consistency.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve Dal Hari Bhari with steamed rice.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :
Further, I would like to draw your attention to the following dal recipes: