Gujarati Kadhi is a popular Gujarati dish made using curds or buttermilk and gram flour. It is a perfect accompaniment to plain rice and even pulaos. As it is thin in consistency, one can even drink it after meals as a digestive aid. It is an essential part of a traditional Gujarati thali.
1 cup curds (dahi)
2 tbsp gram flour(besan)
2 Green chillies (hari mirch)
1 small piece of Jaggery (gud)
3 to 4 Cloves (lavang)
½ inch Cinnamon (dalchini)
1 Dry red chilly (laal mirch)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
7 to 8 Curry leaves
1 tbsp Oil
3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
Salt as per taste
- In a bowl, take curds and besan and whisk it well.
- Add two cups of water and mix well.
- To this, add the jaggery and green chillies. Add salt.
- Pour this mixture into a pan and cook, stirring continuously till the kadhi acquires a somewhat thick consistency.
- For seasoning, heat the oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, hing, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Pour the seasoning into the kadhi.
- Serve Gujarati Kadhi with rice and pickle.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO