Khamang Kakdi is a Maharashtrian style cucumber salad made with chopped cucumber, roasted peanut powder among other ingredients and tempered with ghee and chillies.
2 medium sized cucumber (kakdi/ kheera), peeled and finely chopped
½ cup roasted and powdered peanuts (shengdana/mungphali)
3 tbsp grated fresh coconut (naaral / nariyal)
3 tbsp choppd fresh coriander leaves (Kothimbir/ dhaniya)
1 chopped green chilly (hirwi mirchi/ hari mirch)
1 tsp lemon juice (limbyacha ras / nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste
For tempering (Phodni/ Tadka)
1 tbsp clarified butter (toop/ghee)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 stuffed dry chilly (sandgi mirchi)* or dried red chilly/sooki laal mirch
- In a mixing bowl, add peeled and finely chopped cucumber, peanut powder, grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilly, salt and lemon juice.
- Give it a good mix.
- For the tempering, heat a small pan.
- Add ghee. When the ghee melts, add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add dried chillies.
- Pour this tempering on the cucumber mixture.
- Khamang Kakdi is ready to be served.
*Sandgi mirchi is green chilly stuffed wth spices and dried under hot sun.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO