Cucumber is known for its cooling and hydrating properties. It is one of the most common vegetable used in Indian salads and raitas. Cucumber Moong dal salad is a South Indian style salad prepared with moong dal and cucumber with a tempering of mustard seeds. Hailing from Karnataka, moong dal kosambari is a part of most festive meals. Another interesting cucumber salad is Maharashtrian Khamang Kakdi, which is made with cucumber and roasted peanut powder.
The recipe for Cucumber Moong Dal salad is as follows:
2 medium sized cucumbers (kheera)
1/3 cup split green gram (moong dal)
2 tbsp fresh, grated coconut (nariyal)
2 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
2 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarso)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Wash the moong dal and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the water from moong dal and keep aside.
- Peel the cucumbers and finely chop them.
- In a large bowl, add soaked moong dal, chopped cucumber, grated coconut, chopped green chillies, salt and lemon juice.
- Give a good mix.
- Keep this aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add hing and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering into the salad. Mix well.
- Moong Dal Kosambari is ready to be served.
- This salad can be refrigerated and served chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: