Kolhapuri Bhadang is a spicy, fiery, crunchy and tasty snack made using kurmura/churmura/puffed rice. Bhadang is made with a special type of murmura/puffed rice. The murmura used for bhadang is bigger in size than the usual murmura which is used for making bhel. This is very easy to make and can be made in no time. You can make a batch of this snack, store it and enjoy it as a tea time snack. Serve it alongwith masala chai or just have it topped with chopped onions, tomatoes and a dash of lime. Here’s the recipe:
150 grams Puffed Rice /Murmura (Bhadang Murmura)
5 to 6 tbsp oil
7 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (lehsun)
½ cup peanuts (mungphali/ shengdana)
25 to 30 curry leaves (kadi patta)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp metkut
1 ½ tbsp. red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp powdered sugar (cheeni) (optional)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add thinly sliced garlic.
- Saute till the garlic starts changing its colour.
- Add the peanuts and curry leaves.
- Saute till the peanuts are roasted well.
- Now, keep the gas on a low flame and add asafoetida, metkut, red chilly powder and mix everything.
- Turn off the gas and add the puffed rice.
- Mix everything well.
- Each and every murmura should get coated with the masala.
- Add salt and mix.
- Allow this to cool and store Kolhapuri Bhadang in an airtight container.
Powdered sugar can be added alongwith the salt. Adding of powdered sugar is optional. I have not added sugar here. Spice level can be adjusted according to your taste by increasing or reducing the quantity of red chilly powder.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: