Malvani Vatana Usal is a classic dish from the Konkan region of Maharashtra. It is a spicy curry made with dried black peas. This dish pairs well with rice bhakri/ chapati or with steamed rice. Here’s the recipe:
1 cup dried black peas (Kala Vataana)
3 tsp oil
2 onions, chopped (pyaaz)
3 tbsp grated dry coconut (sookha nariyal)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
1 inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
1 tsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
1 ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
1 tsp fennel seeds (sauf)
1 large black cardamom (badi elaichi)
3 to 4 cloves (laung/lavang)
A small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
3 petals of star anise (chakraphool)
1 tomato, chopped (tamatar)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak dried black peas in water overnight.
- Cook the peas alongwith salt and 2 ½ cups of water in a pressure cooker for 5 to 6 whistles.
- When the pressure escapes fully, open the pressure cooker.
- Keep the cooked peas aside.
- Also, retain the water in which the peas are boiled.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 1 chopped onion.
- Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add grated dry coconut.
- Saute and cook for few minutes.
- Now, add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, coriander seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and star anise.
- Saute on a low flame, till all the ingredients are roasted well.
- The ingredients should turn brown in colour.
- Allow the roasted ingredients to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend the roasted ingredients alongwith ¼ cup water to a smooth paste.
- Keep this masala paste aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add 1 chopped onion.
- Saute till it changes colour and becomes soft.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and cook till it becomes soft.
- Now, add the masala paste and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilly powder.
- Mix and cook till the masala starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Now, add the cooked peas alongwith the water in which it was boiled.
- Give a good mix.
- Cook covered on slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Open the lid and garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Malvani Vatana Usal with rice bhakri, chapati or steamed rice.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
For more Maharashtrian recipes with pulses and legumes, click on the undermentioned links: