Basundi is a creamy, rich and delicious dessert made with thickened milk. You can make basundi in different flavours. As mangoes are available in plenty now, I have added mangoes to the basundi and made mango basundi. Lets take a look at the recipe.
3 cups full fat milk
3 tsp sugar
a large pinch of saffron (kesar)
2 tbsp chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios & cashew nuts)
¾ cup mango puree
½ cup small mango cubes for garnishing
- Heat a broad bottomed pan.
- Add the milk and cook on a slow flame.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Remove 2 tsp milk in a small bowl and add saffron to it. Set it aside.
- Add sugar to the boiling milk.
- Allow the milk to boil till it reduces to half its quantity.
- Keep scraping the sides of the vessel.
- Add the saffron mixture to the milk and mix.
- Add the chopped nuts and mix.
- The basic basundi is ready.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Now, add the mango puree and mix well.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled garnished with small mango cubes.
I have not added cardamom (elaichi) powder to the basundi as I didnt want cardamom to affect the mango flavour. But, you are free to add cardamom powder if you wish.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO