Mango Phirni – a delicious, creamy dessert made with rice, milk and mangoes
The best thing about summer are the mangoes and the various desserts made with mangoes. Phirni is a creamy dessert made with milk, rice and sugar. Mango Phirni is a variation to the traditional phirni, where mango puree is added to the phirni. As mangoes are in season now, do try this delicious recipe:
¼ cup Basmati rice
3 cups milk
¾ cup Mango puree (Alphonso mangoes)
1 tbsp chopped Almonds
1 tbsp chopped Cashew nuts
1 tbsp chopped pistachios
4 tbsp sugar
a pinch of cardamom powder
¼ cup chopped mangoes
few mint leaves
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water from rice and allow it to dry completely.
- Once the rice has dried completely, grind it to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Heat a sauce pan, add 3 cups of full fat milk and bring it to boil.
- Now, add the coarsely ground rice to the milk and start stirring continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Keep stirring the milk and cook till it reaches a porridge consistency.
- When the rice is cooked well and the consistency is thick like porridge, add sugar and mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now add cardamom powder, chopped almonds, cashew nuts and pistachios. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and allow the phirni to cool completely.
- Once the phirni is cooled, add the mango pulp and mix well.
- Transfer the phirni to clay bowls (kulhads) and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Garnish with chopped mangoes and serve chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: