The best thing about the summer are the mangoes and the various desserts made with mangoes. Phirni is a creamy dessert made with milk, rice and sugar. Mango Phirni is a variation to the traditional phirni, where mango puree is added to the phirni. As mangoes are in season now, do try this recipe:
¼ cup Rice
2 tbsp Almonds
2 tbsp Cashew nuts
1 cup Mango pulp
4 cups Milk
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tsp Cardamom powder
Chopped almonds and pistachios for garnishing
a pinch of saffron
- Soak the rice in water and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Soak the almonds and cashews in hot water and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Soak saffron threads in two tbsps of milk and keep it aside.
- Drain the water from rice and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Drain the water from soaked nuts, peel the almond skin.
- Grind almond and cashews to a paste.
- Heat a pan, add 4 cups of milk and bring it to boil.
- Allow the milk to boil in medium flame till it reduces to 3/4 of quantity.
- Now, add the rice paste to the milk and start stirring continuously to avoid the lumps.
- Keep stirring the milk and boil till it becomes a porridge consistency. When the consistency is thick like a porridge, add sugar.
- Add saffron thread milk and almond-cashew paste.
- Add cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Switch off the flame and allow the phirni to cool completely.
- Once the phirni is cooled, add the mango pulp and mix well.
- Garnish with nuts and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
If you love phirni, do check the recipe of Thandai Phirni