Matar Paneer is an awesome combination of paneer and green peas cooked in onion tomato gravy. It’s an all time favourite dish of most vegetarians. It goes well with rotis, naan, parathas, lachcha parathas, plain rice and jeera rice.
200 grams paneer (cubed)
200 grams matar (fresh green peas)
2 tbsp oil
2 big onions (chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
4 to 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
½ inch ginger (chopped)
1 bay leaf
3 to 4 cloves
1 tbsp red chilly powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin coriander powder
1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
Salt as per taste
- Boil the green peas alongwith 2 cups of water in a pan.
- Drain the water and keep the boiled peas aside.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil .
- Add the chopped onions.
- Saute and cook till the onions turn golden brown and soft.
- As the onions cook, they will give out a sweet aroma.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes, chopped garlic and ginger.
- Mix well and cook on a slow flame, stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Let this onion-tomato mixture cool down.
- Once it cools, blend to a fine paste.
- Now, heat a tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the bay leaf, cloves and saute.
- Add the onion tomato paste and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala, kasuri methi and mix everything well.
- Add the boiled peas and mix.
- Now, add the paneer cubes and half a cup of water and mix well.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or naan.
Note: Once the gravy is ready, a tbsp of cream can be added to the gravy to give it a creamier texture though adding cream is completely optional.