Mixed Veg Akki Rotis – Healthy rice flour rotis loaded with vegetables.
Akki Roti is a popular breakfast dish from Karnataka. These are rotis made with rice flour and vegetables. (Akki in Kannada means rice). Generally, carrots and onions are used to make these rotis. But on one occasion, when I ran out of carrots, I used beetroot to make these rotis and it was liked by everyone at home. Since then, I have started adding beetroot to these rotis. Akki rotis are one of the favourite breakfast dishes of my family and hence, off late, I have started loading these rotis with as many vegetables that are available with me, which otherwise kids create a fuss to eat.
Mixed veg Akki rotis are rice flour rotis loaded with various vegetables, beetroot being the dominant one. Beetroot imparts a beautiful colour to these rotis. I generally make a spicy orange (coconut) chutney to go with these rotis. Here goes the recipe for Mixed veg Akki rotis:
3 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
¾ cup grated carrots (gaajar)
¾ cup grated beetroot
¾ cup chopped cabbage (patta gobi)
¾ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
3 green chillies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
Salt as per taste (namak)
Oil to cook the rotis
- In a large plate or a mixing bowl, add the rice flour.
- Add grated carrots, chopped cabbage, grated beetroot, chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, cumin seeds, and salt.
- Give a good mix.
- Now, add water gradually and knead to make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is ready, add 1 tsp oil and knead again for few seconds.
- Take a small portion of the dough and place it on butter paper.
- Shape the dough ball into a thin flat roti using your fingers.
- Lift the roti alongwith the butter paper and flip it on a hot pan.
- Gently take off the butter paper.
- Drizzle about 1 tbsp of oil around the roti and allow it to cook.
- Flip the roti and cook it on the other side.
- Allow the roti to cook evenly on both sides.
- Remove it from the pan.
- In the same manner, make the remaining rotis.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: