Padwal Chana Dal Sabzi – a simple sabzi made with minimal ingredients.
Padwal/snake gourd is one vegetable which I rarely cooked. But few months ago, I tried making Padwal with chana dal using goda masala and it was a super hit at home. Since then Padwal chana dal sabzi has become a regular at my place. It is very simple to make and pairs well with chapatis or varan bhaat. Goda masala is a Maharashtrian spice blend and has a distinct aroma and flavour. Addition of goda masala to Padwal chana dal sabzi elevates its taste and flavour. Here goes the recipe:
300 gms Snake gourd (padwal)
1/3 cup split Bengal gram (chana dal)
2 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarso)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 onion, chopped (pyaaz)
1 tiny tomato, chopped (tamatar)
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilli powder (laal mirch)
1 tbsp goda masala
1 tsp jaggery powder (gud)
1/3 cup grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak chana dal for 4 hours
- Scrape the outer skin of snake gourd using a knife or spoon.
- Wash, deseed and chop into tiny pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped garlic and onions.
- Saute till the onions turn soft.
- Add chopped tomato and saute for few minutes.
- Add soaked chana dal.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cook covered for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now, add chopped snake gourd.
- Add turmeric powder, cover the pan and cook.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals and add water if required.
- When snake gourd and chana dal are cooked, add red chilli powder, goda masala, salt and jaggery powder. Mix well.
- Add grated coconut and mix.
- Cover the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Padwal chana dal sabzi is ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: